Originally published on AZFamily.com.
PHOENIX — Triple digit temps are right around the corner. And for Arizonans getting ready for a long, hot summer, we were happy to get some summer survival tips from fitness expert Heidi Powell. She talked to Good Morning Arizona’s Javier Soto about five must-haves for summer.
1. Cute bikini/trunks Not only does this give you an excuse to have some fun in the sun while burning some calories (i.e. beach volleyball, sand running, or swimming in the ocean), but it’ll also give you the motivation you need to stay on track throughout the summer. “It’s motivation to stay and get into shape,” Powell tells us.
2. Vemma Bode App Looking for a plan? Download our free Vemma Bode app which delivers daily tips and tricks to help you succeed at your diet challenge once and for all. “It’s totally free,” Powell says. “It’s a text from us every three hours telling us what to eat, when to eat, there’s motivational videos from us.”
3. Slip N Slide The family that plays together stays together, and stays fit together! It’s going to be another hot summer, so be a kid with your kids this year. Cool off and burn some calories without even realizing it. “Have fun in the sun,” Powell says. “We often don’t think that playing is burning calories, but it is! And it’s fun. So go play slip-n-slide with your kids.”
4. Juicer Juicing is all the craze lately. What better time than now to invest in a juicer? It’s a sure way to get the phytonutrients from you veggies without having to choke them down. Try mostly veggies, with a splash of fruit. You’ll be surprised how tasty veggies can be! Put over ice with an umbrella, and you have a lovely tropical beverage.
1/2 Cucumber (large)
1 Spinach handful
4 Celery stick
1 Kale handful
1 Apple (small)
1 ginger piece
1/2 inch 2 Lemons (small)
Juice in that order.
5. Gym/beach bag Find an amazing gym bag that will help get your cute booty out of the house and into the gym. There are so many to choose from that have a compartment for everything from your iPad to dirty gym clothes to chocolate (protein bars). My preference? A bag that can double as a beach bag to give you more bang for your buck. “Bags these days have a compartment for everything,” she says.