Originally published on ElizabethStreet.com.
Heidi Powell shares a recipe for a strawberry salad and a healthy potato salad too.
A new season means new recipes, and summer salad recipes are on everyone’s menu. Luckily, Heidi Powell is helping us start the week right with two great ideas: Her husband Chris’s favorite healthy potato salad, and her son Cash’s favorite strawberry salad. Heidi’s potato salad loses the mayo in favor of yogurt for a dish that’s free of fat but full of creamy flavor. Her jellied strawberry salad, meanwhile, is a sugar-free dish that looks like dessert—your kids will love it either before or after dinner. These recipes are easy, delicious, and healthy—you’ve got to have them in your arsenal!
Read on to get Heidi’s two favorite healthy summer salad recipes.—Elizabeth Street
Our family loves light summer salads for summertime! And if it’s easy to make, that’s even better. Here are a couple of tasty choices:
Chris’s Favorite Potato Salad
1 ½ pounds red potatoes
1/3 cup minced red onion
¼ cup minced dill pickles
1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
1/3 cup chopped celery
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Pepper to taste
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- Cook whole potatoes in a covered microwave-safe dish on high for 10-12 minutes (no need to prick before cooking). Let cool, then cut into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, add potatoes, and mix thoroughly.
- Enjoy, and relish the fact that you’re enjoying potato salad without all those calories!
Cash’s Favorite Strawberry Salad
4 cups natural and unsweetened applesauce
2 small boxes sugar-free strawberry gelatin
2-3 cups fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
- Put the applesauce in a pan and bring it to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. (Be careful—when it starts to boil it can pop!).
- Once applesauce begins to boil, remove from heat and stir in gelatin.
- When thoroughly mixed, stir in strawberries and chill until set.
- If you want to make a larger salad, add 2 c. applesauce for every box of gelatin, and increase the fruit as desired.
- This salad is very versatile. You can use any type of fruit and other flavors of gelatin, so be creative!