The Winning Protein Powder Recipes Revealed!
POSTED ON March 21, 2014
I asked…and you answered! In fact, 274 of you shared your super creative ideas for using protein powder! It was so hard to choose just two winners, but here they are—our Powell Perfect Protein Shake Powder giveaway winners:
Dark Chocolate Protein Muffins
Submitted by Alvina Green
What you’ll need:
1/2 cup of liquid egg whites
1/2 cup of goji berries
1/2 cup of quinoa flakes
1/2 cup of Powell Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream Protein Shake Powder
1/4 cup of blueberry & apple puree babyfood
3 tbsp of chestnut flour (can buy on Amazon if not in your local store)
3 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp of baking soda
What you’ll do:
Blend ingredients together and bake in 8 muffin cups for approximately 40-45 minutes at 350*F.
Calories per muffin: 99
P.S.: I think these would be yummy with Powell Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Shake Powder too!
Submitted by Tandi V.
What you’ll need:
5 ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp honey
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 scoop protein powder
1 cup almond butter
What you’ll do:
Put first 5 ingredients into blender, blend until creamy. Pour blended mix into bowl. Pour protein powder & almond butter into bowl and mix well. Create cookies on a sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Calories per cookie (based on 2 dozen cookies per recipe): 132 (adjust for type of protein powder used, I based this calorie count using our Powell Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Shake Powder).
Be sure to check out all the comments for even more creative uses for protein powder!
Protein Powder: It’s not just for shakes anymore! + Giveaway!
POSTED ON March 19, 2014
Congratulations to our Winners!
Winning recipes submitted by Alvina Green and Tandi V.
We always say that protein is the building block of these things we call “muscles”. In addition, protein happens to be one of the most satiating macronutrients – simply stated, it keeps us fuller longer. Unfortunately, protein is underconsumed across the board. We don’t eat nearly enough!!!
Considering protein is one of the major components of carb cycling, and is the perfect companion to both carbs and fat, I figured I’d give a little crash course in one of the most convenient sources of protein: POWDER!!!! And don’t worry…protein powder is NOT just for shakes anymore.
Before we go too far, you should know that NOT all protein powders are created equally. When choosing the powder that is right for you, you should know the difference between an all-protein supplement and a protein meal replacement.
All-protein supplement powder is NOT a complete meal, and should never be consumed as one. Along with this kind of a powder, you would need to add in carbs or fats (or both, depending on the plan you follow) to complete your meal. While this can be a more convenient protein option over meats, you still have a bit of legwork to complete the meal. Choose one that’s low in fat (less than a couple grams), low in carbs (will naturally have around 5 grams), and 15-25 grams of protein per serving (scoop sizes vary per brand).
If you are anything like the Powell Pack, and need your meals ready to go QUICK, then you should look for a protein meal replacement powder. What do we recommend? Our Powell Perfect Protein Shakes, of course. This is why we designed them…because we NEEDED something fast and delicious that we could rely on to give us (and our kids) the nutrition we need. They are the perfect combination of protein, carbs, and healthy fats, so you get everything you need in one shake! Did I mention how amazing they taste?? Chris and I debate this often - I like the chocolate ice cream, Chris likes the vanilla ice cream ;). Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom to enter to win some of your own!!
But let’s not get carried away here. We don’t need to confine our favorite powder to a shaker bottle, gosh darn it. There are many other ways to incorporate it into a diet. Here are a few ideas:
- Sprinkle a spoonful of vanilla protein powder on your oatmeal or favorite whole grain cereal for a bit of added sweetness and an extra punch of protein.
- Add a spoonful of powder to natural applesauce.
- Try substituting a ½ cup of protein powder for a ½ cup of flour in your favorite baked goods recipes. You might need to add a bit of liquid since the powder is pretty absorbent.
- Mix a spoonful into your favorite plain Greek yogurt.
- Type “creative uses for protein powder” in your favorite search engine, and you’ll be surprised at all the ideas and recipes you’ll find!
Here’s a yummy recipe to try out—it’s Powell Pack approved!
Powell Protein Pancakes
What you’ll need:
½ cup oatmeal
2 egg whites
1 scoop Powell Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Shake Powder
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
What you’ll do:
1. Grind the oatmeal in a blender or food processor.
2. Put the ground oats in a bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat.
4. Add the batter to the skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown.
5. Enjoy with your favorite low calorie syrup, or slices berries
What’s in it:
(per pancake, no syrup or topping—recipe makes two 4” pancakes): 157.5 calories, 16.25 g protein, 18.5 g carbs, 2.3 g fiber, 1.7 g fat.
And check out these other Powell approved protein powder recipes:
What is your favorite protein powder recipe? Share it in the comments below, and you could win a box of our Powell Perfect Protein Shakes! Contest ended at 11:59 pm EST Thursday, March 20, 2014, and two random winners were announced on Friday, March 21, 2014.
Eat Your Veggies! + A Giveaway!
POSTED ON March 11, 2014
Congratulations to our book winner,
Veggies are so awesome that even though they’re complex carbs, we’ve given them their very own group in carb cycling! In fact, you can eat 2 handfuls of non-root/non-starchy type veggies with every. single. meal.
So why do veggies deserve such a distinction? They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and have amazing health benefits:
Veggies pretty much nourish every part of your body! And one of their main benefits? They are so low in calories that you can fill up with veggies without even making hardly a dent in your daily calorie bank account. Try doing that with any other food group!
I’m often asked about fresh vs. frozen vs. canned veggies. While fresh, in season veggies are best, frozen and canned are great alternatives because fresh veggies start to lose their nutrients within days. Since the frozen and canned variety are picked and then processed at their peak, they continue to hold the majority of their nutrients for an extended period of time. Processing actually increases the lycopene found in tomatoes, which protects you against heart disease and even some cancers. And what’s the best part about choosing frozen or canned veggies? They allow you to eat your favorites year-round! They’re also quick and easy to prepare, and you’ll save money because you’ll throw away less due to spoilage. Just be sure to choose no sugar and low or no salt added varieties.
Since most people consume only about half of the recommended servings of veggies each day, here are some ideas to help you add more of these nutritional necessities into your diet:
- Add a handful of spinach to your smoothie. You won’t even know it’s there!
- Buy pre-washed bags of salad.
- Pre-package your own veggies for a healthy, on-the-go snack.
- Add veggies to sandwiches and soups.
- Choose to snack on veggies instead of other not-so-healthy options.
- Get creative—try something new! You might discover a new favorite.
- Just gotta’ have ranch dip with your veggies? Try this healthier version: 1) Mix together equal parts each of onion powder, dried dill, and garlic powder. 2) Mix in three times the amount used for the ingredients in step 1 (if you used 1 tablespoon for step 1, use 3 tablespoons in this step) of dried parsley. 3) Add sea salt and pepper taste. 4) Add this mix (to taste) to plain nonfat Greek yogurt and enjoy!
What creative things do you do to incorporate more veggies into your day? Share your ideas in the comments below. Winner of the autographed copy of Chris’ book, Choose to Lose was chosen randomly and announced on Friday, March 14, 2014.
Now go eat your veggies!
Reebok All-Terrain Shoe Giveaway!
POSTED ON February 21, 2014
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNERS
There have been so many great comments and curious minds asking questions about the Reebok All-Terrain Series shoes Chris and I keep talking about, so we figured what better way to answer your questions than to just give away some of the shoes for you guys to try! Now, these shoes don’t even come out until March 15th, so the winners will be the lucky few who get to rock these shoes early!
And here’s the best part: I’ll be giving away 3 women’s pairs, and Chris will be giving away 3 men’s pairs :). Yes. You read that right—that’s 6 pairs of shoes! Are you excited yet?!
Here’s how to win:
1. Since the goal of every Spartan Race is to test the mental and physical capacity of every competitor, leave a comment on this post telling us in 100 words or less one thing you’re doing this year to test your own mental or physical capacity, and why you’re doing this one thing.
2. Follow both me and Chris on social media and share this post. The more you share, the more chances to win!
Heidi: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and/or Pinterest
Chris: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and/or Pinterest
Be sure to include the hashtag #PowellReebokGiveaway so we can find you!
3. Enter by Sunday, February 23, 2014 @ 11:59 p.m. PST.
Six winners have been chosen on and notified through the social media channels posted in #2 above.
Get ready. Get set. Go!
And good luck!
To learn more about these amazing shoes, read our reviews here:
Mine - Did the Shoes Make the Cut?
Chris’- Testing out the new Reebok All-Terrain Shoe!
Guessing Game Winner!
POSTED ON November 21, 2013
Ruby Lane Powell has arrived, and we are over the moon for this little ray of sunshine ☺.
Many of you are asking if we have a winner for the guessing game of Ruby’s arrival date and time, and I am here to tell you…YES! We do☺.
The winner of the $500 Reebok gift card (who I may add, guessed the exact time AND date within the first 10 minutes of the Guessing Game beginning) is…
Guessing Game: When Will Baby Powell Arrive???
POSTED ON November 7, 2013
You see my posts all too often these days…I’m nearing D-Day and WAY too curious about when our little princess will actually come.
Of all parts that come along with pregnancy, I must admit that the hardest part for me is this game at the end…the waiting game.
If only I had a crystal ball…I could plan my days, my kids’ days, my weeks, my work, my blogs, my workouts with the peeps…I am quite the planner, if you haven’t figured that out yet ☺. Not knowing what to plan for it the hardest thing in the world for me!
I know induction is a possibility, but since I am doing another epidural-free childbirth, I’m not interested in a potentially more-painful process that comes with induction. The way it happens naturally is enough for me!
Bottom line, I just want to hold this little baby girl. I want to dress her, bathe her, play with her, and let the kids and Chris do the same. I can’t wait to meet her. Each day feels like 10, lately.
To make some fun of this crazy waiting, I decided to make a game of it for all of us! We’re going to play a guessing game!
Whoever can accurately predict Baby Girl Powell’s arrival date and time wins a HUGE grand prize…a $500 Reebok gift card!!!!
Here are a couple tips for you, which may (or may not) help out your guesses:
1. My due date is November 16.
2. This is my 4th pregnancy/childbirth. Some say the more you have the quicker they come…although I am not sure I believe this
3. Matix and Marley (my two oldest) were BOTH 10 days early.
4. Cash, my youngest, was (are you ready for this?) 10 days LATE!
5. I have been incredibly active this pregnancy. They say the more active you are, the longer you carry babies.
6. I don’t feel close AT ALL right now. I feel like she might want to stay in this belly of mine forever, if she could. Cash was the same way.
7. Getting Cash to come out was a chore. Ten days overdue, I tried castor oil twice, and finally went into labor after lunging (with backpacks on my back), jumping rope, sprinting halls…all in the hospital. Finally, they broke my water for me to start labor. He was out within 28 minutes.
Hope this helps ☺
Here’s how to play:
1. Leave a comment on this blog, giving your guesses. Don’t forget date AND time. The first to pick it correctly (or the closest guess without going over) is our winner. You can comment/guess up to 5 times.
2. Like, share, retweet, repost, and/or rePin the Baby Due Date Guessing Game posts on my social media channels. Share your guess(es) with each post! Don’t forget to use the hashtag #BabyPowell and #HeidiPowell so I can find you.
3. Get guessing!
PS – This guessing game will go on until she is born…you may have 1 day, you may have 30 days. I’d place your guesses quickly!!! Winner will be announced shortly after Baby Powell arrives!
Good luck…to both of us! ☺
To help everyone in making their guesses,
List the date first, then time, followed by any comments.
Example: November 7th – 2:34pm Can’t wait for her arrival!
aden + anais + GIVEAWAY
POSTED ON October 27, 2013
Congratulations to our Winner, Jackie LeBeau
Make sure you check out our next Labor Day to Labor Day BabyPowell Giveaway this Sunday!
We are so lucky today to have some of my babies’ favorite swaddles on the blog to giveaway! Anyone who has tried the aden + anais swaddles knows there is nothing quite like them. Super thin (and easy to carry with), yet incredibly warm and soft for baby. Cash’s swaddles seem to get softer over the years…he still keeps his close by ☺.
That’s not all! aden + anais is also giving away an entire set of their new mum + bub skincare line! I haven’t tried this yet, but am DYING to. The entire line is gentle enough for baby to use, but amazing enough for mom!
This week’s aden + anais Giveaway is worth over $106!! Here’s what you’ll get:
1. one pack of aden + anais swaddles, print of your choice – I LOVE the tranquility bamboo muslin collection shown in the pic above, but you get to choose!
2. mum + bub skincare set of 3: soothing ointment (3 oz), hair + body wash (12 oz), and ultra-gentle lotion (12 oz).
Here’s how you can win:
1. Comment on this blog post, letting me know if this gift is for you, baby, or a friend (anyone is great, I’m just curious because these products are supposed to be fantastic for all!).
2. Like, retweet, rePin, and/or share my posts on Facebook , Instagram, Twitter, and/or Pinterest. Please use #BabyPowell so we can find you!
3. Make sure you are following me and aden+anais on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and/or Instagram (the more the better!).
A random winner was chosen on Wednesday, October 30, 2013. Thanks for participating!
#BabyPowell Giveaway: Ergobaby Performance Carrier
POSTED ON October 20, 2013
Congratulations to our Winner, Annie Browne
Watch for the next Labor Day to Labor Day 12-week Giveaway this coming Sunday.
More prizes coming your way!
If there is one thing I wish I had from day one of Cash’s life, it would be an Ergobaby Performance Carrier. With all of the hiking, trekking, moving, and walking the Powell Pack does, this sure would have made our life easier.
I was introduced to the Ergobaby Carrier this last summer in Colorado. A friend and I were taking our combined 5 kids (6, if you include the baby on board ☺) for a hike in the beautiful mountains of Canon City, CO, and Cash – bless his heart – was being the usual Cashy Boy…super rambunctious! I didn’t have any desire to pull him up those mountains with the risk of him running over a ledge. Nor did I feel like carrying him on my hip the whole way. I was 6 months pregnant for crying out loud!
Ergobaby to the rescue! Much to my surprise, the Ergobaby Carrier my friend lent me not only carried Cash’s 2 year old body on my back, but carried him comfortably for both of us. And until this point, Cash had NEVER been a fan of carriers!! EVER.
After doing some research of my own, I realized Ergobaby has a line specifically designed for active parents like us! I thought the one I wore was comfortable for hiking…I can only imagine how comfortable the Performance Carrier is. I can’t wait to try it out!
You can win one of these $135 amazing carriers for yourself!
Ergobaby has been kind enough to offer up a carrier from their Performance Carrier line for Baby Powell’s 12-week Baby Shower Giveaway for one of my lucky readers. Thank you, Ergobaby
Here’s what you had to do to win:
1. Comment on this post – tell me about your favorite hike, or how you plan to use the Ergobaby Performance Carrier.
2. Like, Share, and/or rePin my #BabyPowell Giveaway posts on as many social media channels as you can: Facebook , Instagram, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
3. Follow Ergobaby on Pinterest and/or on Twitter.
Random winner was announced on Wednesday, October 23, 2013. Thanks for participating!
PaigeLauren Baby Giveaway
POSTED ON October 13, 2013
Congratulations to our Winner, Alison Harris
Watch for the next Labor Day to Labor Day 12-week Giveaway this coming Sunday.
More prizes coming your way!
I seriously cannot get over how adorable and snuggly these clothes, pictures, and babies are!! I am absolutely dying to get our baby girl a couple outfits from this precious clothing line.
So…time to tell you how you can win a $50 gift card to ANYTHING on PAIGELAUREN Baby’s website!
1. Comment below, telling me which product on PAIGELAUREN Baby you would like to buy with the $50 gift card.
2. LIKE and SHARE as many of my PAIGELAUREN Baby Giveaways Posts as you can (Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter). Be sure to use hashtag #BabyPowell
3. Follow PAIGELAUREN Baby and Me (if you don’t already) on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest (the more follows and shares, the higher your chances!)
Random winner was announced on Wednesday, October 16, 2013. Thanks for participating!
Stretch Marks – Can They Be Prevented During Pregnancy? + GIVEAWAY
POSTED ON September 29, 2013
Congratulations to our Winner, Sally H.
Watch for the next Labor Day to Labor Day 12-week Giveaway from Vemma.
More prizes coming your way.
Lauren Parisier and Kelli Kenny, founders of the award winning expectant mom skin care line, basq, weigh in on the battle of stretch marks during pregnancy. They’ve even donated some of these amazing products for this week’s Baby Powell Giveaway!
Scroll to the bottom to enter to win!
When it comes to stretch marks, everyone wants to use a product that truly works. The truth is, when you become pregnant your skin may or may not mark- but, prevention is key! The good news is specific products can prevent stretch marks, bad news- once you’ve got them they don’t go away you can only make them smaller.
What you do in the early months is critical – building skin strength early on is your best bet for a mark free pregnancy. Collagen and Elastin are the fibers that keep your skin strong and stretchy. You need products that go beyond moistuirzation to fuel the build of collagen and elastin so it can stretch more and hopefully avoid breaking (which is what gives you the marks). Remember, while stretch mark prevention isn’t instantly gratifying because you can’t see what would have been – it’s better than the alternative. There are a few easy steps to dramatically improving your skin’s strength and stretch-ability during those early glowing months:
Step 1: Exfoliate
Exfoliation preps skin for better product absorption and it kick-starts your skin’s natural repair process, key for stretch mark prevention. But when it comes to exfoliating, not all polishes are created equal. Stay away from salt scrubs– they are drying which equals more damage. Many everyday scrubs have clary sage, rosemary and caffeine – these should be avoided in pregnancy. Loofahs and shower mitts can deliver exfoliation that is too hard, causing micro tears which harm skin instead of helping. We created basq Citrus Sugar Body Polish for pregnancy-safe exfoliation. The natural sugars gently smooth while rich oils and butters nourish. Focus on mark zones for best results: chest, belly, thighs and hips.
Step 2: Stretch Mark Ingredients Proven to Work
It is important to look for ingredients clinically proven to work. For real stretch mark care you need your products to work deep down where damage happens — surface moisturizing isn’t enough. Feed your skin ingredients that it can break down and use to build collagen and elastin, which support strength. At basq, we spent a long time working on a butter that could blend the oils your skin wants and needs with ingredients proven to work. The core stretch mark ingredients in the award winning, basq Advanced Stretch Mark Butter are Algesium C and Darutoside. Both have been proven in clinical testing to prevent and repair marks. Plus it contains omega rich Borage and Grapeseed oils and a rich Shea Butter base – it’s all you could want and need in a stretch mark butter.
Step 3: The All Over Stretch
Marks mostly happen on the chest, belly, hips and inner thighs but don’t forget the rest of your body. For head to toe care, we recommend oils that are rich in Linoleic Acid needed to build Collagen and Elastin. Remember, not all oils are created equal. We blend the highest grade Omega Rich oils to absorb completely so there is no greasy feel or worry about clothing. A little bit goes a long way, oils are the smart choice when you’re looking for less to do more. The basq Resilient Body Oil has been an editor and celebrity favorite (Heidi Klum is a fan!), but if you remain an avid butter user, our Ilipe Body Butter is the product for you.
Now, time for Baby Powell’s Weekly Giveaway!
For this week’s #BabyPowell Giveaway, Lauren and Kelli are giving away my favorite Basq products ($100 value!):
How to Enter:
1. Follow me and share my giveaway posts from Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
2. Go virtual shopping on BasqNYC.com‘s website and tell us about one of their products that most interested you by commenting below.
3. Share any blog from my site via your social media channels (recipes, crafts, mommy stuff! You pick!). Be sure to tag @RealHeidiPowell or my Facebook Page in all shares and posts. Use hashtags #BabyPowell and #basq so we can find them. The more you share, the more chances to win!
Random winner was announced on Wednesday, October 2, 2013. Thanks for participating!