So we just got back from an amazing adventure on a cruise ship. I’ve NEVER been on a cruise, and to be honest, I had no idea what to expect when it comes to food! Although our family was well-equipped with our own healthy choices, I was fairly confident that we would have no problem finding (or creating) healthy options on board.
Here are a few tips I learned that not only work on a cruise but on any vacation and for eating out:
1. Order your meal with a to-go box and box half of it right away so you?re not tempted to eat the whole thing.
2. Share the love. Split your meal with someone. Most portions are too big for just one person.
3. Be sure and order all sauces and dressings on the side. Dip your fork in the sauce or dressing, then put your food on your fork. You?ll get the flavor without the extra calories.
4. When it comes to a buffet on any ship, or in a restaurant, you can fill your plate with salads, grilled vegetables, and fresh fruit.
5. Keep your order simple with foods like broiled or baked shrimp, chicken and fish (never fried or breaded).
6. Avoid the calorie-laden dressings, pizzas, cream based salads, and desert bar.
7. Bring your own refillable water bottle to guard against dehydration.
With all that said, I also know that it is ok to enjoy! It isn’t every day that I get to sail the open seas like this, and doggone it, I wanted to experience this cruise. Luckily, I knew I COULD enjoy…but I also knew there are a couple rules I would follow to make sure my nutrition/health didn’t suffer!
Here are a few tips if you?re going to cheat:
1. Keep your serving size small. After a few bites your taste buds get used to the flavor and nothing is quite like that first bite.
2. Make a good choice. There are options and some are better than others. Still try to pick the lesser of the two evils if possible.
3. Just like with a meal, share the love. Split it with someone.
4. Work it off. If you feel like you?ve overdone it, there is always a good hard workout waiting for you to burn off the damage.
5. Keep your water intake up. It will be easier to control your portions if you?re well hydrated. It also helps with the cravings.
Above all ENJOY! I sure did, and I can?t wait to do it again!