You’ve heard the saying before, “Life is like a bowl full of cherries”. This ever popular phrase comes from a song written back in the 1930s ?that starts off like this:
Cherries and Life Have a lot in Common
Both are bright, delicious, have seasons, can get a bruise or two along the way, and yes, have some pits in there too! There are also a few things about cherries that many people don’t know. In honor of National Cherry Month, check out these fun facts about red, delicious cherries.
- 1 cup of cherries has just 90 calories
- Cherries are full of fiber and vitamin c
- Cherries are full of antioxidants
- They contain cyanidin which has anti-inflammatory properites
- They also contain the highest amount of natural Melatonin which is known to regulate the rhythmic patterns of the body.
And a few strange trivia facts about cherries….
- At one time it was against the law to serve ice cream on cherry pie in Kansas.
- China once considered cherries a prized food fit for royalty.
Mix It In
While we often think of cherry pies and cherry chocolates (perfect for those guilt free days!) did you know cherriess are just as yummy added to cottage cheese, greek yogurt, or simply add a few crushed cherries to your water (or even a sugar-free Verve!) to start getting some of these benefits! Keep in mind the sweet cherry or dark cherry is usually used for eating and snacking. While the tart cherry is used for cooking and recipes.
Cherries are also that perfect snack, especially when on-the-go. They’re great for adults AND kids! My favorite are the bing cherries…be careful though, they have pits in them!