Who doesn?t love mac ?n cheese? I have good news for you ? you don?t have to kiss this one goodbye to stay on your nutritional track. Nope! This Powell Pack favorite is a healthier twist on the dish so many of us crave (I?m guilty!). Enjoy!
Mama Heidi’s Mac ‘n Cheese
1 package gluten free macaroni pasta (brown rice or quinoa pastas work well!)
1 1/2 cups pureed butternut squash
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded part-skim Cheddar (preferably sharp)
1/2 cup grated or shredded part-skim jack cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Small amount shredded Parmesan, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- If your butternut squash is not already pureed, cut the butternut squash in half, cover in plastic wrap and microwave about 7-9 minutes until cooked. (You can also cut your peeled butternut squash into 1″ cubes and boil till cooked, then puree.)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, until it is al dente.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the butternut squash puree, milk, butter, and yogurt and stir until well mixed. Bring to a simmer.
- When the puree begins to simmer, slowly start adding the cheeses, mixing the entire time. As the cheese melts and the sauce begins to thicken, season with a little salt and pepper, to taste.
- Slowly add in the macaroni, stirring to coat all of the pasta in cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let the casserole rest for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
What temp do you bake it at? 350?
Preheat and cook at 400*. Enjoy!
This looks really yummy! Must try 🙂
how do u get the stax system and how much does it cost.
Stax is under redevelopment. Watch for the new version coming soon!
Yummmmmmmmm I can’t wait to try this 🙂 I’m so excited about your website!!!! I just love it 🙂
Making this right now! Smells delicious and the sauce was so good!
Does this fit into the carb cycle plan anywhere? Since there is fat and carbs???
This is an excellent recipe for the entire family since its a healthier version of what may be typically served, or to enjoy on a guilt free/reward day.
Do you know the fat, carbs protein, fiber? I am on weight watchers and need to know to see how many points? Thanks in advance
It will vary depending on your brand of pasta and such. Simply add up the measurements/numbers off of your ingredients and divide it by the # of portions to get the most accurate info.
What kind of butter is used, salted or unsalted?
You could use either. We typically use unsalted at our house.
How many calories per serving??
It will vary depending on the brand/type of pasta. Check the back of your ingredient boxes for an accurate measurement. Enjoy!
Do you think I can try to make this with spaghetti squash?
Try it and let us know how it goes!