Who doesn’t love mac ‘n cheese? I have good news for you – you don’t have to kiss this one goodbye to stay on your nutritional track. Nope! This Powell Pack favorite is a healthier twist on the dish so many of us crave (I’m guilty!). Enjoy!
Mama Heidi’s Mac ‘n Cheese
1 package gluten free macaroni pasta (brown rice or quinoa pastas work well!)
1 1/2 cups pureed butternut squash
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded part-skim Cheddar (preferably sharp)
1/2 cup grated or shredded part-skim jack cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Small amount shredded Parmesan, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- If your butternut squash is not already pureed, cut the butternut squash in half, cover in plastic wrap and microwave about 7-9 minutes until cooked. (You can also cut your peeled butternut squash into 1″ cubes and boil till cooked, then puree.)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, until it is al dente.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the butternut squash puree, milk, butter, and yogurt and stir until well mixed. Bring to a simmer.
- When the puree begins to simmer, slowly start adding the cheeses, mixing the entire time. As the cheese melts and the sauce begins to thicken, season with a little salt and pepper, to taste.
- Slowly add in the macaroni, stirring to coat all of the pasta in cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let the casserole rest for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!