When it comes to the parenting + kids + social media combination, I knew I had to have a social media pro AND mom on the show! Anna has been my go-to for all things social media for years, especially as my kids have gotten older and entered the social media world. I know social media can be both a dark spot AND a place for motivation and education, so I wanted to share Anna’s expertise and how she’s handled social media (and screen time) with her own kids. Because let’s be honest: Your kids should NOT be the ones teaching you about social media! That’s a recipe for disaster!
Anna Macfarlane is an expert in online marketing and branding, and she loves teaching others how to connect with their audience so they can make a living doing what they love. Anna has spent twenty years in the marketing world, 8 of the most recent being in social media. She has been featured in The Huffington Post, Mashable, Glamour, Buzzfeed, Comedy Central, and others. Anna offers coaching and strategy, and she speaks at events, covering branding, messaging, audience, social media, and how to create dedicated buyers for life.
Anna is also a wife and mother of 4 kids, and with her social media expertise, she’s the perfect person to help me—and all parents—navigate the tricky and ever-changing world of social media.
Some questions I ask:
- What is the connection between teen depression and social media usage? (13:09)
- What makes social media bad for kids, and what can we do to help them learn to focus on the good? (21:53)
- What are good recommendations for social media time limits? (28:55)
- Should there be different social media guidelines for different age groups? (31:53)
- How do you best monitor kids’ social media usage? (35:09)
Some key takeaways from this episode:
- How much screen time and social media viewing can cause increased depression and anxiety in kids. (13:09)
- How teaching kids how to use social media in positive ways is like teaching a kid to drive a car. (21:53)
- Guidelines and tips for setting boundaries with kids and social media. (28:55)
- Tips for setting social media boundaries and guidelines for kids of all ages. (31:53)
- How parents can monitor kids’ social media usage and tips to keep kids social media-safe. (35:09)
- Get Smart Guide (for ages 3 and up)
- Let’s Talk Guide (for kids who want to be on social media)
- Heidi Powell Special Bundle
Get social with Anna: