If you ever step on the scale for your weekly weigh in and your weight has plateaued or gone up, please don’t freak out! This can be very common, so you’re not alone!
If you’ve been following your TRANSFORM program closely, chances are it is NOT fat gain! Simply identify one of the 4 physiological reasons why this is happening, then implement the solution immediately!
REASON 1: Muscle swelling
Muscle swelling occurs after each and every resistance training workout as the body’s response to trauma to the muscle tissue. The amount of swelling depends upon the intensity of the workout and can be from 1 to 5 pounds of water. The higher the intensity, the more the swelling! This lasts for several days after the workout, then subsides.
If your muscles are chronically sore and your jeans are tighter, your muscles may be swollen with water!
This is the NUMBER ONE reason why most people see a slight gain on the scale the first week they begin resistance training. This is also the reason why many people who over-exercise tend to plateau in weight too. The constant stress releases cortisol, which also leads to more swelling and water retention.
- Reduce the intensity of your training and give your body several days to adjust.
- Drink an extra quart of water every day.
- Get a light massage to assist the lymphatic system with drainage.
- Get more sleep. Sleep allows your body to rest, relax, and RELEASE!
In the meantime, keep your nutrition, hydration, and cardio Accelerators dialed in, and you will see your body start dropping nicely within several days.
REASON 2: Sodium
Sodium is a necessary electrolyte to keep us hydrated. However, sodium is also a magnet for water, and consuming too much of it can lead to excess water retention. Since a gallon of water weighs eight pounds, the excess sodium holds the water in your body for up to 3 days, easily increasing your bodyweight from 1 to 15 pounds!!
If you have recently consumed high sodium foods (like fast food or restaurant food) in the last day or two, you may be retaining several pounds of water!
- Reduce sodium intake by avoiding most fast food and restaurant prepared meals and sauces.
- Consume low sodium foods for several days and see how fast the numbers drop on the scale. It’s all water retention!
- Drink an extra quart of water every day.
REASON 3: Hormonal fluctuations
Women can retain fluid during their monthly cycles, and this should last no longer than a week. The fluctuations in hormones can cause unwanted bloating that can significantly affect bodyweight. Other hormonal issues, such as ADH (Vasopressin) or Aldosterone fluctuations from alcohol intake or a day of dehydration can throw off your body’s water balance, causing a massive “water wave” of retention for up to 3 days AFTERWARD. Thyroid issues and certain medications can also play a role in the way your body reacts to your transformation program.
- PLEASE consult your physician before and during your transformation. Get regular check ups and blood work from a doctor. Not only is this wonderful prevention for detecting health issues early on, but your doctor can also determine if hormones are an issue. You may require medication.
REASON 4: Consuming too many calories
Finally, if you are consuming as many calories as you are burning or more, your body is going to maintain its current bodyweight or even slowly gain weight. Ask yourself these 3 questions:
- Am I following my nutrition plan portions?
- Have I been emotionally eating?
- Am I doing my full duration of Accelerators?
If you have been following the program closely, then let us automatically adjust your program for results!
- When the troubleshooting page appears at your official weekly Progress Check, select for us to adjust your current plan. We will automatically shift your calories down and switch your carb cycle to get you faster weight loss results!!
- Our logic is designed to start your program at the highest possible calorie intake possible to still get you results. THEN, every time your progress slows, we can step your calories down and alter cycles to increase the rate of your weight loss results.
- This process prevents severe metabolic slow down and feelings of deprivation and restriction, allowing you to eat MORE of the food you enjoy and still achieve the results you want. This is the FUTURE of weight loss!
There’s no need to beat yourself up about that number on the scale. If you’re following your program, you WILL achieve your goals!
A Weight Loss Win: It’s More Than That Number on the Scale
It Really Is All About the Promise
Reignite Your Fire to Achieve Your Goals!
6 Secrets to Success: How to Reach Your Goals This Year
Our Transformation Mantras + Top Tips for Success
What’s Your Excuse?