Those words we speak to ourselves?either vocally or silently?are often the things we blame for not reaching our transformation goals! See if any of these sound familiar:
- I?m too tired.
- I?m too old, too fat, too…
- I have little kids around all. day. long.
- I work really long hours.
- I don?t have time.
- I can?t afford to join the gym.
- I have an injury.
- I have a health issue.
- I travel a lot.
- I don’t like to go to the gym.
- I can?t, because…
- I don?t have a support system.
- I don?t like veggies.
- This is just the way I am.
- The treadmill is soooo boring!
- And on, and on, and on…
We are brilliant excuse makers! But here?s what I know: Most excuses are rooted in fear?the fear of failure, of what others will think of us, of change, of hard work, of the unknown, of discomfort, and so on.
But you know what? There are really very few legitimate excuses. Injuries or health issues? Nope! Chris and I have never encountered an injury or health issue we can?t work around. And some of our Extreme Weight Loss peeps have dealt with some of the most horrible things imaginable?abuse, loss of a child or parent, eating disorders, loss of a limb, lack of feeling loved, and many others?and they were able to rise above these and reach their goals!
And what about those rationalizations?an excuse?s best friend? They can be just as damaging to reaching our goals! Here are some doozies:
- I?ll start tomorrow?today?s not a good day because of … (and tomorrow never comes!).
- I?ll start Monday?a new week will make all the difference this time!
- I?ll eat this just this once.
- It?s a holiday…my birthday…my anniversary…my vacation…(fill in the blank). I deserve it! (And then we often overindulge more than a little).
- If I just finish this carton of ice cream, or this bag of chips…M&Ms…Oreos…etc., it will be all gone and I won?t be tempted to eat it anymore (that?s a classic!). 😉
- I exercised today so I can have ?extra? calories.
- And on, and on, and on…
So how do we eliminate excuses and rationalizations so we can reach our goals?
- Make a list of every excuse and rationalization you think and speak. Besides being rather enlightening, you might even get a pretty good chuckle from how creative you are! Once you?re aware of what you?re doing, you?re better equipped to make changes.
- Do one small thing today to reignite your fire to achieve your goals. One small success leads to many others!
- Reevaluate how you spend your time. Let?s be honest?we make time for what?s important to us. Is your time filled with unimportant?but ?fun??time wasters that turn into excuses?
- Get creative and think outside the box. Can’t workout because you have kids? Find ways to workout WITH the kids (see the video below for an idea!) Sometimes rethinking how we do something is all that is needed to overcome self imposed obstructions.
- Likewise, remember this important thought: The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse (Unknown). ?Nuff said. 🙂
Let?s get to work and become doers, not excusers!
We can do this!