Nothing says “America” like a good old fashioned cherry pie, especially during a 4th of July backyard BBQ! Unfortunately, nothing says carb + sugar bomb quite like cherry pie either. Instead of skipping America’s favorite dessert this year, I’m sharing a lighter version of a classic pie thanks to Erika Peterson.
The result was light, fluffy, berry-filled perfection. Not kidding…I love these parfaits more than any pie I’ve ever tried. And bonus: They are super simple to make. Ditch the classic pie tradition this holiday and whip up these Berry Cream Pie Parfaits!
Berry Cream Pie Parfaits
For the crust:
1 cup oat flour (oats ground up in a blender)
1 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 tablespoon cold water
For the cream:
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Protein Packed Option:
1 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
Vanilla liquid stevia drops
How you’ll make it:
1. Dairy-free option: Place can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge WITHOUT shaking. Refrigerate for 2+ hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
3. Stir the oat flour and almond flour together. Add the coconut oil and stir until combined. Add honey and water. Stir until combined. Press evenly into your baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. It should look golden and lightly browned on the edges. Remove and let cool in pan. Once cool, break into small pieces. Set aside.
4. Dairy-free option: Remove the cream from the top of the coconut milk and place in a medium sized bowl. Add honey & vanilla. Beat with hand beaters for 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Protein packed option: Combine yogurt and stevia for desired sweetness.
5. To each cup or bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the crust, the cream, and berries, repeating the layers one time. Store in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy with a spoon!
What’s in it? One serving size is one Berry Cream Parfait.
For the non-dairy version: 127 calories, 7.6g fat, 14.7g carbs, 2.5g protein
For the protein packed version: 131 calories, 6.1g fat, 14.5g carbs, 5.1g protein
Every heart beats true for the RED, WHITE, & BLUE!! This refreshingly, simple treat will OOH & AHH your crowd this 4th of July!! How are you celebrating this year?