Happy National No Housework Day—the one day of the year you don’t have to do housework! Does that ever really happen—for a whole day? Just Curious. 😉 Anyway…while you get the day “off” today, all those household chores you do on the other 364 days of the year can be a secret calorie-burning weapon I bet you didn’t know you had in your workout arsenal!
According to one study, people spend an average of 13 hours every week doing household chores. Whether or not you spend that amount of time, even a few minutes spent doing chores can burn some extra calories that can really add up over the course of weeks, months, and years!
Check out these fun facts about the calories you can burn per minute doing the things you “get” to do anyway:
- Cleaning the tub: 7
- Making beds: 4
- Cleaning windows: 4
- Loading the dishwasher: 3.5
- Vacuuming: 3
- Dusting: 2
- Ironing: 2
- Washing the car: 5
- Weeding: 4
Pretty awesome, right? And I bet you’re looking at your vacuum in a whole new way! 😉
And try out these ideas to burn even more calories while you’re doing all those chores:
- Instead of collecting several things and making one trip up or down the stairs, only take one item at a time. You’ll burn 9.5 calories every minute while you’re doing those stairs (and even more if you quicken your pace!), and you won’t really be spending that much more time. And the extra calories burned will be so worth it!
- Do lunges or squats (or “lunches and squaks,” as Cash calls them) while you vacuum and dust.
- Set a timer and clean for 5 minutes. When the timer goes off, do a certain number of burpees for an awesome total body burner. Repeat as many times as you can.
- If you listen to your favorite playlist while cleaning, stop in between each song and work on your sexy arms or your fabulous abs.
Are you so excited to do all those chores you love to hate? Just be sure to not do the same exercises two days in a row—even muscles need a bit of a rest.
So enjoy your day “off” today, and get ready to burn some extra calories tomorrow. And you’ll get a sparkly clean house as bonus! That’s a win-win in my book!