In the midst of everything else we have going on in our lives with work, travel, children, friends, etc., we try to be involved in our church and community where we are able. Now…just being totally honest here…I could do a MUCH better job than I do, but I guess in this area, like many others, I am a work in progress. I am lucky enough to be an activity leader (along with my good friend!) for the girls in our church that are Marley’s age, where I help lead regular activity nights. Lessons are taught, activities are done, and lots of fun is had. To keep it exciting for the girls, we try to plan a coordinating craft, game, or activity. Since we all know I’m no Martha Stewart, when it comes time for me to plan the activity, I usually turn to my trusted friend, Pinterest. I can always count on her to help pair a good valuable lesson with something fun to keep these busy-bodied girls interested!
A few months ago, I came across a gossip lesson and knew I HAD to share it with my girls. The lesson revolved around the theme “Sweet Lips Speak Kind Words.” Such a cute saying, and an absolutely invaluable lesson for girls at this age. As we know very well, gossip and unkind words are spoken much too often in today’s world…not just amongst little girls and teenagers, but big girls too (Eh hemmm…just read the comments on a good handful of my posts, or really anyone’s). While it might give a quick bit of pleasure in the moment to say something negative (always in an effort to build one’s self up by tearing another down), the pain it causes all around is just sad…and never makes ANYONE feel good. So in an effort to help “spread love, not gossip,” I thought we’d make this our activity!
We all made promises that night to each other to speak kinder words to people in our lives and to help build them up instead of tearing them down. To serve as a reminder of the promise we made, we each made our own all-natural lip gloss to put on our kind-word-speaking lips! Adorbs. And score…they LOVED it! PS: You MUST read the perfect poem we had printed and made into bookmarks. Perfect. Just perfect.
In an effort to help spread love (NOT GOSSIP!) I wanted to share this with all of you! Have fun!
What you’ll need:
How you’ll do it:
We made our lip gloss with coconut oil and multi purpose un-petroleum jelly and/or Vaseline. To add color to the lip gloss, I let the girls choose which flavors they wanted, and they chose orange and raspberry. All we did was use water flavoring powder such as Crystal Light and TRUE Orange to get a different flavor and color. The TRUE Orange flavoring made more of a strawberry color, which surprised us!
- Place 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of un-petroleum jelly in a microwavable bowl. If you’re using a small container like we did, make sure it’s as close to 1 teaspoon of each. Place in microwave for about 60 seconds or until oil and jelly are melted.
- Shake powdered drink mix into the melted oil. Put as much in as you want until you get your desired color. Stir and stir until the mix dissolves.
- After the majority of the powder is dissolved, pour the mixture into your containers. We purchased ours at Michaels in the bead section!
- Let the lip gloss sit and harden. We put ours in the fridge for faster hardening because the girls had to leave soon after we finished them!
- Each girl ended up being able to make two lip gloss containers to take home with her to remind her to always speak sweet! 🙂
Make these with your girls and enjoy the much needed reminder that “Sweet Lips to Speak Kind Words.”