Want to know one of my best kept secrets for getting a smaller waist? Work out your upper body!
Who knew, right? But building lean muscle in your upper body also works your core (Hello, abs!) and can help accentuate and give the appearance of a smaller waist.
So, even though we’re heading into the winter months, keep this secret in your back pocket for the next time you want to get summer-ready in a pinch. Throw on your favorite tunes and carve out ten minutes—yes, just TEN MINUTES—to complete this workout, and you’ll be well on your way to looking leaner and feeling more confident in the skin you’re in.
Plus, strong is the new skinny. And this upper body circuit is going to give you some serious strength gains. Win, win, if you ask me!
Ten Minute Upper Body Workout
3 sets, 12 reps with 60 seconds of rest in between each set
Engaged Single Arm Press
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and bring your arms up to your shoulders bent out at 90 degree angles.
- Keep one dumbbell at your shoulder.
- With your other hand, press up overhead, but don’t lock out your elbows. Slowly lower back down.
- Do 12 reps on one side, then switch and do 12 reps on the other side.
Engaged Bent Over Row
- Standing straight and with a dumbbell in each hand, give your knees a slight bend and hitch over at your waist so that you’re bent over just slightly.
- With a bend in your elbows, bring your elbows up to your side.
- Keeping one arm stationary, extend your other arm and the dumbbell down to the ground, then drive back up with your elbow and rotate your dumbbell as you do.
- Do 12 reps on one side before switching and doing 12 reps on the other side.
- With a dumbbell in each hand, bend your elbows and bring the dumbbells up in front of your face, palms facing in.
- Extend both arms out and up overhead, rotating your hands so they’re facing out.
- Lower your arms back down and rotate your hands and arms back in toward your face.
- Do 12 reps total.
Rear Delt Fly
- Standing straight and with a dumbbell in each hand, give your knees a slight bend and hitch over at your waist so you’re bent over just slightly, then extend your arms in front of you underneath your stomach, dumbbells together, palms facing towards your body.
- Widen your arms, so that you’re raising both arms, slightly bent, out to the side and back slightly. Pinch your shoulder blades together as you do, keeping your back straight at all times.
- Repeat for a total of 12 reps.
Whew! Feeling leaner, stronger, and more confident already, aren’t you?! Isn’t it amazing how a good workout can totally change your entire mood? I hope this one brightened your day just like it did mine!
No Equipment? No Problem! At-Home Upper Body Workout
5-Minute Workout for Sculpting Sexy Arms
10 Minute Upper Body Workout
Slimmer Waist Tips: Sexy Shoulder Exercises
At-Home Shoulder Workout—Happy Hour Style