Who said you need a big, nice, fancy gym to get fit?! I’m sharing one of my favorite total body burners that I did for Oxygen Magazine, and the best part is you can do the entire sweat-worthy routine all in the comfort of your own dang home. No weights? No problem! Grab two water jugs (Side note: Each full water jug weighs 8 pounds), soup cans, and two paper plates! This entire routine only takes twenty minutes, so it’s perfect to do while the kids are either napping or outside playing OR…recruit the kids to do this with you and turn it into a family event like my girl Mars did with me!
Superset 1: 3 rounds, 15 reps (rest 90 seconds between sets!)
- Bulgarian Split Squat: Get into a lunge position, with your back foot up on a low table or chair. Make sure the leg that’s bent forward is at a nice 90 degree angle, and that your front knee isn’t going out farther than your front toe. Stand, and then lunge back down. Do all 15 on one side before switching to the other side. Make this move more difficult by holding a water jug in each hand as you lunge/squat!
Modification: Do stationary lunges while holding onto a chair or table for support!
- Hip Thrusts: Find a sturdy (but cushioned!) piece of furniture to rest your upper shoulder blades on. Bend your knees and keep your feet flat on the floor. You’ll want to dig into your heels, pushing your knees out, as you squeeze your glutes and lift up. You can make this more difficult by holding a water jug in each hand at your pelvis and by adding a booty band above your knees if you have one! You can even ask one of your kiddos to sit on you while you do it! Be prepared for all the giggles!
Tabata 1: (4 minute blocks of 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest, x 8 total rounds!)
- Hamstring Slider: Lying flat on your back, put one heel each on one paper plate. Slowly slide those plates in close to your butt, squeezing and lifting your butt as you slide them in. Slide back out so your legs are straight. Repeat as many times as you can for 20 seconds, then rest 10 seconds, and then get back to work!
Modification: Body weight glute bridges! Bring your knees up so they’re bent, keeping your heels flat on the floor in front of your butt. Squeeze and lift your glutes.
Superset 2: 3 rounds, 15 reps (rest 90 seconds between sets!)
- Cuban Press: Stand up straight, keeping your core tight and back flat. Hold a jug in each hand, upright row the jugs until you get to your shoulders, then flip the jugs around into a press move, and press them up straight in the air above your head. Slowly lower back down in the same way you went up.
- Lateral Delt Raises: You might want the soup cans for these! Holding a can in each hand, raise both arms up to the side and make a pouring motion with your hands (this rotates your arms slightly).
Tabata 2: (4 minutes blocks of 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest, x 8 total rounds!)
- Plank Risers: Get in a plank position with your hands flat on the ground. Starting with one arm, go down onto the forearm, and do the same motion on the other side. Then, go back up to your hands, one arm at a time. Repeat as many times as possible for 20 seconds, then rest 10 seconds, and then get back to work!
That’s it! Job well done, friends! And if you’d like even more at-home-friendly workouts and exercises, check out The Transform App! Comment below your favorite move from the workout today!
At Home Resistance Band Booty Workout
No Equipment Booty + Leg Burner: At-Home Lower Body Workout
Total Body Burner: At-Home Kettlebell Workout
Feel the Burn: 5 Ways to Work Out at Home
No Gym, No Problem: Workouts on the Go