Congratulations to our Winners!
Winning recipes submitted by Alvina Green and Tandi V.
We always say that protein is the building block of these things we call “muscles”. In addition, protein happens to be one of the most satiating macronutrients – simply stated, it keeps us fuller longer. Unfortunately, protein is underconsumed across the board. We don’t eat nearly enough!!!
Considering protein is one of the major components of carb cycling, and is the perfect companion to both carbs and fat, I figured I’d give a little crash course in one of the most convenient sources of protein: POWDER!!!! And don’t worry…protein powder is NOT just for shakes anymore.
Before we go too far, you should know that NOT all protein powders are created equally. When choosing the powder that is right for you, you should know the difference between an all-protein supplement and a protein meal replacement.
All-protein supplement powder is NOT a complete meal, and should never be consumed as one. Along with this kind of a powder, you would need to add in carbs or fats (or both, depending on the plan you follow) to complete your meal. While this can be a more convenient protein option over meats, you still have a bit of legwork to complete the meal. Choose one that’s low in fat (less than a couple grams), low in carbs (will naturally have around 5 grams), and 15-25 grams of protein per serving (scoop sizes vary per brand).
If you are anything like the Powell Pack, and need your meals ready to go QUICK, then you should look for a protein meal replacement powder. What do we recommend? Our Powell Perfect Protein Shakes, of course. This is why we designed them…because we NEEDED something fast and delicious that we could rely on to give us (and our kids) the nutrition we need. They are the perfect combination of protein, carbs, and healthy fats, so you get everything you need in one shake! Did I mention how amazing they taste?? Chris and I debate this often – I like the chocolate ice cream, Chris likes the vanilla ice cream ;). Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom to enter to win some of your own!!
But let’s not get carried away here. We don’t need to confine our favorite powder to a shaker bottle, gosh darn it. There are many other ways to incorporate it into a diet. Here are a few ideas:
- Sprinkle a spoonful of vanilla protein powder on your oatmeal or favorite whole grain cereal for a bit of added sweetness and an extra punch of protein.
- Add a spoonful of powder to natural applesauce.
- Try substituting a ½ cup of protein powder for a ½ cup of flour in your favorite baked goods recipes. You might need to add a bit of liquid since the powder is pretty absorbent.
- Mix a spoonful into your favorite plain Greek yogurt.
- Type “creative uses for protein powder” in your favorite search engine, and you’ll be surprised at all the ideas and recipes you’ll find!
Here’s a yummy recipe to try out—it’s Powell Pack approved! 🙂
Powell Protein Pancakes
What you’ll need:
½ cup oatmeal
2 egg whites
1 scoop Powell Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Shake Powder
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
What you’ll do:
1. Grind the oatmeal in a blender or food processor.
2. Put the ground oats in a bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat.
4. Add the batter to the skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown.
5. Enjoy with your favorite low calorie syrup, or sliced berries. 🙂
What’s in it:
(per pancake, no syrup or topping—recipe makes two 4” pancakes): 157.5 calories, 16.25 g protein, 18.5 g carbs, 2.3 g fiber, 1.7 g fat.
And check out these other Powell approved protein powder recipes:
- CinnaCocoa-Frosted Protein Cookies
- Peanut Butter Power Fudge
- Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake
- Protein Carrot Cake Bars
What is your favorite protein powder recipe? Share it in the comments below, and you could win a box of our Powell Perfect Protein Shakes! Contest ended at 11:59 pm EST Thursday, March 20, 2014, and two random winners were announced on Friday, March 21, 2014.