After receiving so many comments about my chicken + waffles love confession, it was pretty clear to me that many of you would love a healthy waffle recipe to whip up your own homemade version of my fave food. Since I already have a fan—and fam—fave Protein Waffle recipe on this blog, I thought, “Why reinvent the wheel?” I don’t have time for that these days. 😉 I was able to tweak this already yummy (and protein-packed) recipe and give it a pumpkin twist. Now just add 4 ounces of grilled chicken breast, and behold, I’ve created the perfect fall breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
1 1/3 cup oatmeal, instant or regular
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon stevia
1/2 cup 1% reduced fat cottage cheese
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup pumpkin
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions for the waffles:
1. Put oatmeal, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and Stevia in a food processor or blender and process until powdered. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, blend cottage cheese, eggs, olive oil, water, pumpkin, and vanilla until smooth.
3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients to form a batter.
4. As the mixture stands, it will thicken, and it may be necessary to add more water (a tablespoon at a time) to get a smooth, not lumpy, consistency.
5. Spray a waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and cook the batter until done. Helpful hint: These waffles do take a bit longer to cook, so if you check them and they’re not done (and the top and bottom separate like they did for me), just put the lid back down and cook them for a little bit longer. Everything will be A-okay. 🙂
Nutritional information per serving per waffle: 204.5 calories, 11 g protein, 26 g carbs, 4.2 g fiber, 6.4 g fat.
After you’ve whipped up your pumpkin waffles, throw your grilled chicken on the side or slap it on top of your waffle! I promise you won’t be disappointed!
You can also drizzle your waffles with honey or sugar free maple syrup. I top mine with 2 tbsp of coconut whipped cream, which adds an additional 60 calories, .8 g protein, .8 g carbs, and 5.2g fat.
My (Almost) Famous Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats!
Pumpkin Protein Pancakes with Pumpkin Seed Granola
Pumpkin Pie + Protein Shake = Low Carb Heaven
Pumpkin Pecan Pie
Crafts with Cash: Painted Pumpkin Placeholders