While going to the grocery store is somewhat therapeutic for some, it’s kind of like pulling teeth for me. Really. I’d rather clean the bathrooms and do laundry. Reason being…it’s like the never-ending story. Every single time I go, I forget something! Then I’m back the next day, if not just a couple of hours later. Then even if I don’t forget something, I STILL have to go back when food runs low. It’s a necessary evil, though, and it’s crucial to achieving your transformation goals. You’ve heard me say over and over again that “abs are made in the kitchen,” and this is totally true. In fact, 80% of transformation success IS nutrition! So before you head out on your next grocery run, check out Chris’ and my awesome tips + our go-to foods we buy every. single. week.
And just in case you missed any of our tips, or want to add our faves to your list, here’s a recap:
1. Before you walk out the door, make sure you have your list ready to go so you’re not tempted to buy those foods that are not on your nutrition plan. Trust me on this one…that list is a lifesaver!
2. Shop the perimeter of the store first.
- Produce: Those colorful fruits and veggies are seriously the foundation of good nutrition, so stock up on your fave fruits, veggies, and root veggies.
- Dairy: Nonfat milk is a great option for high carb days, and unsweetened almond milk is an awesome option for any day! And don’t forget those eggs—they are one of the best (and cheapest) sources of protein.
- Meat & poultry: Grab those lean meats like chicken, lean steaks, and ground turkey. And here’s a meal prep tip: We grill and bake these in bulk 2 times a week so they’re always ready to go.
- Deli: Lean, low-sodium cold cuts are easy to grab n’ go, and don’t forget about all the healthy ready-to-go meals too.
3. Time to hit the aisles.
- Grains: Look for whole grain bagels and English muffins.
- Frozen vegetables: These are a staple in our house because they’re frozen at the height of freshness and are full of awesome nutrients.
- Cereals: Be sure to choose those that are high in fiber.
- Pasta: Go for the whole grain kinds and cook them in bulk for an easy meal any time.
- Marinara sauces: Sauces are awesome—and healthy—toppers for all of your starches like rice, potatoes, and pasta.
- Plastic containers: These are super convenient for storing all those healthy foods once they’re prepped, and these babies are another huge secret to transformation success!
You ready to get your buns to the store?? Grab your list, and let’s go!