You guys, it’s officially February, the month of love! With Valentine’s Day on the horizon, the start of February is always the perfect reminder to show your loved ones how you feel about them with gifts, cards, and (of course) cute pictures on social media! Most importantly, we need to spread that love on a daily basis, and when we can get creative with it, why the heck not….particularly when it comes to the kids.
Let’s face it: Our children are our hearts walking around outside our bodies. They are part of our DNA. They embody our best (and worst!) traits. They look like us. They act like us. They are mini versions of us! They are daily reminders of how much love our hearts can hold. While I always feel love for my kids, I don’t always EXPRESS that love well enough to them every single day. Daily life often demands discipline and teaching moments that can be frustrating, so I need to remember to balance those moments with LOVING words, hugs, and building up my kids!
If the pandemic itself didn’t make us realize just how dang creative we are as parents (hello, virtual school anyone!), then maybe these great eight creative ways to share some love might just bring out your inner Martha Stewart. I hope you will try these on your kids too! They are fun and silly and sure to bring a smile to your kids’ faces, all while reassuring them of how much they are truly loved by their parents. Is there anything better?!
- Write notes to include in their lunches saying how you hope they have an amazing day and know how much they are loved! Words of affirmation will show SO much love to your kids.
- Read a special book with them at bedtime while snuggling! Hugging and holding your children shows SO much love to them, especially if physical touch is their love language.
- Practice their favorite sport with them. Nothing says I LOVE YOU like quality time spent with your kids kicking the soccer ball around your yard or throwing a baseball.
- Go on a walk with your kids…and leave your phone at home. Listen to your kids, and they will open up and share about their life and day with you, I’m sure of it!
- Get your kids involved with dinner. Have your kids plan the dinner menu and then make the meal together.
- Plan a family movie date with your kids! They will absolutely LOVE having that family experience and your attention.
- Take a staycation with your kids. While vacations aren’t always reasonable, going to a local hotel, swimming in the pool, and feeling like you are far from home can create the most special memories! Your kids will not only feel loved, but they will look back on times like these and remember how amazing it felt to be together as a family.
- Game night! NOTHING says “I love you” like enduring a four hour game of Monopoly. Amiright?! Enough said.
And if those eight ways weren’t just the greatest, never forget to spread compliments like confetti. Our words carry SO much power with our kids. They are tender and can be sensitive (some more than others!), and they take our words to heart. Kind words are like honey…and your kids will absolutely remember all of the wonderful, thoughtful things you tell them, and they will KNOW you love them. And while you’re at it, you know the best and most budget friendly way to spread some love: give a hug! Take a moment to look them in the eye, give them a huge bear hug, and tell them how much you love them. Feeling your love through your hugs and hearing the three words “I LOVE YOU” will resonate with your kids long after the moment is over. It doesn’t take a big budget or tons of gifts to make sure your family is rich with love! How are you sharing love this season?
Back to School Workout Ideas: From Toddlers to Teens to You!
Breaking The Brown Bag Blues: Healthy School Lunches!
Making Summer Night Memories
5 Spring Break Activities for a Fit Family
March Madness!!!! A Powell Pack Family Workout